Tuesday, August 25, 2015

2015 Marin Fairfax SC2 IG (Sold)


There is a saying that goes like this; what goes around comes around. One of the first bike I owned was a Marin Fairfax. As it was too big for me, I had to sell it as much to my reluctance but it was no point keeping it since I was not comfortable with it. That was 2 years ago. One day, while browsing around at the LBS that I patronized regularly, there stood the reincarnation of my Marin Fairfax.


Instead of the usual derailleurs and cassette, this one came with Nexus 8-speed internal hub. With my experience using the Alfine system, I wanted to know how the lower-specced Nexus performed. Frankly, you would find it difficult to distinguish between the 2 systems. Outwardly, the Nexus does look a bit plasticky but where performance is concerned, it is hard to tell them apart.


The original brakes were replaced with Tektro Mini-V brakes simply for looks and performance. Bike manufacturers have a tendency to cut corners when it comes to certain components and I do not blame them. It is all about maximizing profits by using cheap parts that work. My preference is for better quality stuff that I know can withstand the abuse and gives me peace of mind when I ride.


The original saddle is really comfortable. This is one place Marin did not make any compromise.


The original crank has since been replaced by an Alfine 39T crank.


The Rockshox I-ride suspension fork was transferred from the Carver 96er to the Fairfax. It made alot of sense to do that. The I-ride fork was designed for 700c wheels which the Fairfax is running instead of 29er wheels. And since the Fairfax was designed as a hybrid right from the start, the I-ride fitted nicely in the steerer tube. On the Carver, I had to add a few spacers to get the correct fit and it certainly made the bike look bad. The other reason for transferring the fork over was that the I-ride uses V-brakes which is in sync with the Fairfax braking system.


Shimano brake levers replaces the unbranded original brake levers. More than looking good, the Shimano brake levers gives better feel and definitely, more comfort.


The handle bar was replaced by a On One Fleegle bar. The handle bar sits slightly lower than the stem and improves aerodynamics slightly. I think it is also more comfortable.


The shorter arms of the Tektro Mini V means braking is much more effective and powerful.


The Marin logo on a matt black frame makes the bike look rather good.


We live in a strange world. What goes around really does come around.

No comments:

Post a Comment