Monday, April 14, 2014

1997 Giant ATX 970 (Sold)

1998 GIANT ATX 970


This was how the frame looked like when I first bought it. 


This is how it looks like about 2 months later. I normally like to bring the bike back to original condition but for some strange reason, I decided to do something different with this one. I don't own any black bikes, so i decided that a 'mafia' theme would be nice. The frame was powder coated glossy black and I pulled out the 2 chrome Azonics Pyramid triple-butted deep rims from my parts bin. 


I like the stance of this bike. It looks mean.


The Manitou Bomber suspension fork was originally white in color but I stripped off the paint and resprayed it gloss black to match the rest of the frame.


Ritchey Components were used for the handle bar, stem and grips. The headset is from Chris King, an old part that I pulled out from my parts bin also.


It is hard to find 8-speed shifters and brake combo nowadays but luckily, I had the Deore LX lying around. Now it's put to good use. They fall in nicely with the rest of the bike.


The cables are neatly routed.



The original RST rear shock was defective so I bought a replacement. This was a NOS rear shock that matches the original plus it has rebound control.


Truvatic Firex cranks and Shimano XTR front derailleurs from the parts bin.


Shimano rear derailleur. This is one weird derailleur because it moves in the opposite direction compared to the standard rear derailleur. You press to shift down and pull to shift up.


The deep dish Azonics rims gives the bike a lot of character.


Front hub is made by Chris King.


Rear hub is also from Chris King. They are really loud and smooth. No need for a bike bell.


The seat and seat post is from Kore. It uses the I-beam system.


Tires are WTB 26 x 2.1.


The finishing touch is putting back the head badge after cleaning it up.

5 comments:

  1. I've just acquired an atx 970 frame and forks which I'm about to start building up. I like what you've done with this. Its given me some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your build. They don't make them like this anymore.

      Delete
  2. Howdy! I was wondering how you got the Giant front emblem off? Did you just yank it out and then re-rivet it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a giant ATX 970 and thinking about selling it. Anyone know what it's worth. I ride it to and from work on a military base. I just purchased a new mountain bike and no longer need it.

    ReplyDelete